Menu

Tuesday, October 30, 2012

Slow Motion Running

I still remember the first day that I started track at USU. I was so nervous. I was worried that I would be less athletic than everyone else, wouldn't like my coach, wouldn't bond with my teammates, etc... After we learned each other's names, we started our warm-up. I was exhausted afterward--and we hadn't even started the real workout yet! After practice finished, I was beat. I thought to myself, "I have never felt so out of shape in my life. What have I gotten myself into?!" 

Well, a similar thing happened to me this week when I went on my first run since having Claire. I started off with my jogging stroller at a slow-motion pace and made it around the corner before I was gasping for air. I was so embarrassed and just praying the whole time that no one from our neighborhood would recognize me.

Why am I writing this very random blog post, you ask?

1. So I can publicly thank my mom for buying me a super nice jogging stroller. Thanks Mommy. You're the best!
2. So one day when I'm running marathons at a 4 minute mile pace, I can look back and see how far I've come. 
3. I'm hoping that if I tell the few of you that read my blog that I've started running, I'll feel more accountable to sticking with a constant workout routine.
4. Some people complain that once people have children, that's all they ever blog about. So here is me NOT blogging about my ridiculously cute baby. 

Anyways.. After a month or two, I finally got in shape and got to compete with some pretty awesome people at USU. I loved my coaches and teammates and I was in the best shape of my life. So it was a happy ending. Here's to hoping that my pitiful runs with the jogging stroller turn out to be a happy ending as well!

3 comments:

Heather said...

So proud of you! You have more energy and drive than I ever dreamed of, so I know you'll get where you want to be. Love you!

Becky said...

You go girl!

Heidi Hutchings said...

I think you should count your blessings that you had the stroller to hang on to and prop yourself up :) Good luck on "getting into shape"! I think you look stunning!